Rekeying your home’s locks is something that every homeowner should keep top of mind in ensuring the security and safety of their home as well as its inhabitants. If you’re like most people, home security and rekeying your home’s locks may be something you tend to take for granted. A lot of people don’t even know what it means. Oftentimes, these things aren’t given a second thought…Well, not until something happens to lead to the hard realization that your home wasn’t as safe and secure as you thought it was. One of the easiest and least expensive ways to improve your home security is to rekey your home’s locks.
What does it mean to rekey your home’s locks?
Rekeying locks simply means changing the internal parts of the lock so that the original key is no longer functional. Rekeying a lock involves changing the working keys to a new one, but not replacing the lock. You can also keep the same lock, but your old key will no more work. This is not the same as replacing your locks, which would involve installing new locks. Rekeying is usually faster and more affordable than installing new locks.
Rekeying is a great way to keep your home safe, even when you move into a new place. In the latter case, you would want to rekey all the locks in your new home so that you can be sure that only you and your family have keys to the house. This is especially important if you don’t know who previously had access to the property.
5 Benefits of Rekeying Your Locks in Your Home
There are many reasons why you may want to rekey the locks of your home. We offer 5 benefits that we think are worth our highest consideration.
1. Increased Security – rekeying your locks will make it harder for burglars to gain access to your home as they will no longer be able to use the old key.
2. Enhanced Peace of Mind – you’ll know that your home is safe and secure with properly working locks.
3. Added Convenience – you won’t have to worry about losing your house key or getting locked out anymore.
4. Reduced Costs – rekeying your locks is a more affordable option than replacing all of them.
5. Increased Safety for Children and Elderly Family Members – If you have elderly relatives or children living with you, you can rekey your locks to help prevent them from locking themselves out.
When should you Rekey?
There are many reasons why you might need to rekey locks:
- You’ve recently moved into a new home – Rekeying your locks is always a good idea when you move into a new home, even if the previous owner seems trustworthy. You never know who else may have a copy of the key.
- You’ve had a break-in – If someone has broken into your home and you want to ensure they can’t get back in, rekeying your locks is a great idea.
- You’re worried about lost keys – If you’ve lost your house keys, you may want to rekey your locks just to be on the safe side.
- You want to change your locks for aesthetic reasons – Rekeying your locks is a great way to give your old locks a fresh new look.
- You want to improve your home security – Rekeying your locks is a great way to improve your home security, especially if you’re moving into a new home or have had a break-in.
Rekeying is a quick way to upgrade your current locks. So, if you’re looking for an affordable and effective way to protect your home, rekeying your locks is a great option.
Common types of door locks
There are many different types of home locks available on the market today. Here are some of the most common:
Deadbolts – Deadbolts are one of the most popular types of home locks as they are very secure. You can install them on exterior doors, and they require a key to open them from the outside.
Knob locks – Knob locks are another popular type of home lock. Interior doors have a lock that doesn’t require a key to open them.
Padlocks – Padlocks are often used to secure sheds, garages, and other outdoor structures. They can be opened with a key or combination.
Doorknob locks – Doorknob locks are similar to knob locks but are usually installed on exterior doors. They can be opened with a key or combination.
Mortise locks – Mortise locks are more secure than other types of locks as they are difficult to pick. They are usually installed on exterior doors and require a key to open them.
Magnetic locks – Magnetic locks are becoming increasingly popular as they are very secure. They work by holding the door shut with a powerful magnet.
Digital locks – Digital locks are becoming more common as they offer a high level of security. They can be opened with a key, code, or fingerprint.
What to do if you’re locked out?
If you’re locked out of your home, there are a few things you can do:
1. Check all the doors and windows – Make sure that all the doors and windows are locked. Sometimes people forget to lock them and this can be an easy way to get back into your home.
2. Ask a neighbor – If you know your neighbors, they may be able to let you into your home.
3. Call a locksmith – If you can’t get into your home, you may need to call a locksmith. They will be able to help you get back into your home.
4. Wait for someone to come home – If you’ve locked yourself out of your home, you can wait for someone to come home and let you in. This can be a bit of a hassle, but it’s usually the quickest way to get back into your home.
5. Kick the door in – If you’ve locked yourself out of your home and need to get in quickly, try kicking the door in. However, if you find yourself with a door that’s just not working, you can try this last-resort fix.
Rekeying locks can make your home safer. It is important to choose the best lock for your needs. Rekeying allows you to quickly and easily change your locks without needing to replace them.
How often should you rekey your locks?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on your individual circumstances. However, most experts recommend rekeying your locks every few years, or whenever you move into a new home. This will ensure that your home is always secure and that only you have access to it.
Whether you just bought your home or have owned it for years, re-keying your locks is a great way to increase your home’s security. Not only is it more affordable than replacing all of your locks, but it’s also quick and easy to do. So, if you’re looking for a way to improve the security of your home, rekeying your locks is a great option.
How much does it cost to rekey your locks?
Rekeying your locks is a relatively inexpensive way to improve your home security. The cost of rekeying your locks will depend on the number of locks you have and the type of locks they are. However, you can expect to pay anywhere from $90 to $300 to have your locks professionally rekeyed.
It’s an affordable way to make sure that only you have access to your home and that it’s always secure. So when you’re considering rekeying your locks, be sure to contact a professional locksmith for the job.
Who can help you with rekeying your locks?
If you’re considering rekeying your locks, it’s important to contact a professional locksmith. They will have the knowledge and expertise to properly rekey your locks and ensure that they are working correctly.
It’s important to choose the right type of lock for your needs, and rekeying is a quick and easy way to change your locks without having to replace them entirely. If you want to be sure that your locks are in good hands, contact a professional locksmith.
If you’re looking for a way to improve the security of your home, rekeying your locks is a great option. Not only is it more affordable than replacing all of your locks, but it’s also quick and easy to do. So, if you’re looking for a way to improve the security of your home, rekeying your locks is a great option. Contact us Master Locksmith today at (504)224-9111 to learn more about how we can help you get the job done right. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have and help you get started on improving the security of your home.